So you want to run the AWS Linux 2 OS on your laptop for development purposes? Its no problem now!
These are the high-level steps I took.
- Create a cloud-init configuration ISO
- Create my user-data and meta-data files
- Validate the user-data YAML file syntax in a validator (important)
- Create a new ISO with these 2 files on a linux server using genisoimage
- genisoimage -output mySeed.iso -volid cidata -joliet – rock user-data meta-data
- Download the latest Linux 2 vdi file from AWS
- Copy the ISO file back to my Windows machine
- Create my new VM in VirtualBox (Linux\Other Linux 64-bit) using the new ISO and the downloaded vdi
- IDE Primary Master = Linux 2 vdi file
- IDE Secondary Master (Optical) = mySeed ISO file
Now you should be able to startup your VM and connect via any user defined in your user-data file.